- Arrange entries in alphabetical order by the surname of the first author. Alphabetize letter by letter.
Order for several works by the same first author:
- Single-author entries precede multiple-author entries beginning with the same surname, earliest first.
- References with the same first author and different second or third authors are arranged alphabetically by the surname of the second author, etc.
- References with the same authors in the same order are arranged by year of pub., the earliest first.
- Works by different authors with the same surname are arranged alphabetically by the first initial.
- Works with no authors are arranged by the first word in the title (not including A, The, etc.) .
- Works specifically listing the author as Anonymous list entry alphabetically as if a name were listed.
- Works with corporate authors are listed alphabetically by the first significant word of the name. Use complete names of institutions, do not abbreviate.