In MLA style the surname of the author and page number are inserted in the text at the appropriate point.
- List the author and page of the article
Simpson (274) absent-mindedly spilt his coffee across ...
In recent study of nuclear reactor accidents (Carlson 274) ...
- For a work with 2-3 authors, include the names in the text of your paper or in parentheses.
(Carlson and Leonardson 352)
(Simpson, Burns, and Wiggum 245-50)
- For works with more than four or more authors use the surname of the first author followed by "et al." and page.
Smithers et al. (16) found ...
Several empty doughnut boxes were found (Flanders et al. 62) ...
- Authors with same surname - S. Bouvier (32) and P. Bouvier (81) also found
- Two or more works by the same author(s) - Past research (Frink, Hyperbolic Topology, 213)
- Works by different authors are listed in the same parentheses and separated by a semicolon - Several studies (Carlson & Leonardson, 52; Simpson, 210)
- Business or corporation author shortened in parentheses - Employees morale improved after the training exercise (Springfield Nuclear, 29)
- Reference to the whole work - A final text in 1997 (Gumble)
- Personal communication such as letter, interview, e-mail, etc. Name in text with type of communication in works cited - According to Barney Gumble ..