PRESERVATION WORKING GROUP
To address issues related to the preservation and maintenance of the Libraries' collections including material handling, mending, conservation, microfilming, and other preservation techniques.
Membership to be appointed by the Associate Dean of Libraries:
- Library Materials Conservation Specialist (ex officio)
- Preservation Head, Owen Security, and Science Research Librarian (ex officio)
- 1 representative from any binding unit (chosen by ADL after soliciting volunteers)
- 1 representative from MM&R (chosen by ADL after soliciting volunteers)
- 1 representative from any Circulation unit (chosen by ADL after soliciting volunteers)
- 1 library staff from any campus (chosen by ADL after soliciting volunteers)
- 3 library faculty from any campus (chosen by ADL fter soliciting volunteers)
The representative members serve two year terms.
The Preservation Working Group reports to the Associate Dean of Libraries. Chair and Recorder will be determined by last name alphabetically and rotate on a 6-month minimum term of office. The working group will meet regularly or as needed. The group will coordinate its activities with other working groups and library departments, as warranted. Working groups will establish procedures and make policy within the scope of their responsibilities. Working groups are accountable for their decisions and are expected to share decisions with library colleagues using the standard working group procedure. Any proposals generated by a working group that require funding for implementation must be referred to the Dean of Libraries for funding approval. Similarly, any proposals with very broad policy implications also need approval from the Dean of Libraries or Associate Dean of Libraries. The chair of the working group is expected to update Associate Dean of Libraries on its activities as needed.
- To develop strategies and priorities for addressing the problem of deteriorating collections.
- To explore, assess, and adopt new methods and technologies which enhance the Libraries' preservation efforts.
- To share information regarding preservation methods and technologies.
- To work closely with other library groups as appropriate on developing or revising preservation procedures and on user and staff education.
- Maintain and review the Collections Emergency Plan (CEP) every 6 months.
- Oversee and maintain the React Packs.
APPROVED by Library Council 8/26/98; revised unit name 7/5/00; revised 9-11-02; deleted reference to EDWG on Specific Charge #4 and changed AD title to AD for Collections & Technical Services 4/28/04; revisions to Role, Membership, Specific Charges 12/15/04; Add "Manager, Owen Library Preservation, Access & Security" as an ex officio member 7-18-05. Updated, role, membership, governance, and specific charges 8-02-11