WSU Libraries Software License Policy
Software License Policy Objectives:
1. Ensure licensing compliance
2. Prevent piracy
1. Approval of new purchases
2. Manage installations
3. Monitor licensing
4. Physically secure disks/licenses
- Units purchasing Software must consult with Digital Services / Collections and verify that the product is compatible and appropriate before the purchase. New software must be approved by the relevant supervisor, the relevant Assistant Director and the A.D. of DSC. This approval must be verifiable via a filed purchase order signed by all parties. New software is to be shipped to DSC when possible. DSC will retain all setup mediums, licenses and manuals, excluding end-user manuals. Any setup disks and/or licenses not currently stored in DSC must be relinquished to DSC upon approval of this policy.
- All software installations will be performed by DSC staff, with DSC approval via instructions, or automatically via Active Directory. Software will not be installed without a proper license.
- All licenses must be stored centrally within DSC. DSC will maintain a license inventory of all restricted licenses. This includes all purchased, granted, “free” for educational use, shareware, or any other restricted license. Software licensed under the Gnu Public License will not be inventoried.
Setup Medium Control
- All mobile setup mediums (disks, CDs, floppies, tapes, etc) must be stored centrally within DSC.
- Licensed Software without a setup medium (direct download) will be stored and managed by DSC. DSC is responsible for maintaining backups of licensed software.
Approved by LC 09/08/04