K - 12 Textbooks
Purpose: K-12 textbook materials acquired at Washington State University should support the Teaching and Learning academic programs at the Bachelors, Masters, and Doctoral (E.d.D./Ph.D.) levels in the College of Education, as well as its various teacher certification programs.
The collection includes K-12 textbooks and other curriculum in subject content areas that the College of Education offers certification and/or endorsements in. These include reading, mathematics, science, music, art, English, health, agriculture, and social studies. The textbook collection may also include K-12 curriculum materials in non-monograph formats, such as overhead transparencies and videos.General Collection Guidelines:
- Languages: English is the primary language of the collection. Works written in other languages ordinarily are purchased only in English translation except for those acquired to support the bilingual and English as a Second Language curriculum in the Department of Teaching and Learning.
- Chronological Guidelines: Emphasis is on K-12 curriculum materials from the mid-twentieth century onwards. Curriculum materials from other periods are added on a highly selective basis.
- Geographical Guidelines: Emphasis is on K-12 curriculum materials published in the United States, especially titles that are used in Washington state school districts (the state of Washington does not mandate curriculum series; districts choose their own). K-12 curriculum from other countries may be acquired on a highly selective basis.
- Treatment of the Subject: Curriculum written and designed for use with K-12 students.
- Types of Material: Most materials acquired are monographs, but alternate formats such as overhead transparencies, videos, and computer software may also be acquired.
- Date of Publication: Primary emphasis is on materials published since 1995. Retrospective purchasing is very selective.
- Other General Considerations: The K-12 Textbook Collection is classified in modified LC.